Home Main Forum Christian Dating Bringing up religion

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ann Gable 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ann Gable
    Participant

One of the main problems in my most recent relationship was differences in religion and I don't want to go down that path again. How do you bring up religion when you start going out with someone? When it comes to raising the discussion, how soon is too soon?

Ali
    Participant

I like to bring it up subtly sooner than later. It's better to be up front with a person, but not in a forceful way. You just have to be aware that it may turn them away or perhaps it'll be a deal breaker for you. If there's a disagreement, then it's probably not meant to be. It'll come up eventually, so if it's important for you it should be mentioned. Maybe start by mentioning it casually in the conversation. First dates are usually filled with questions of what you do on weekends and interests. For example, I usually mention I like to attend church on Sundays and so on. It's something that seems complicated nowadays, but I think it's pertinent that the other person should know if it's to become a more serious relationship.

Carla
    Participant

Ann Gable, this is a great topic. I'd recommend being upfront about you and your religion from the beginning. You don't have to bring it up on the first date, but somewhere around the second or third is probably a good time to bring it up.

Ann Gable
    Participant

Thank you Ali and Carla for the advice! It's a good idea to casually mention church when weekend plans are brought up. And, it won't feel out of the place in the conversation. I like that!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.