Home Main Forum Gay Dating Labels

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ann Gable 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Script
    Participant

I don't exactly avoid talking about this, but I do try when possible because it's not easy to get out of the gloomy atmosphere once we've arrived here. That may be an unhealthy thought, though. Rather than tips on how to avoid this topic, how can we help someone to get over the labels he received?

Ann Gable
    Participant

Script, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but it sounds like either you or someone you know is struggling with societal labels. The bad news is that those labels will never go away. You'll always have multiple labels assigned to you – gay, straight, redneck, Yankee, butch, femme, yuppie, breeder, suit, sinner, geek, emo, frat bro, fat, tall, pretty, smart…people can't wait to label other people. Part of it is mostly just trying to relate to others and predict the expected behavior of one another. But a small part is just plain cruelty. So, that's the bad news. The good news, is that the older you get, the less you'll care. It eventually diminishes entirely. But until then, hang in there!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.