Home Main Forum Online Dating Presenting something they are not

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Sara 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Micki
    Participant

Have you had trouble with someone you've met online turning out to be the opposite of what they said? I went through this several years ago and when I met the guy, he was the polar opposite of what he had told me. I had seen pictures of him and physically he was spot on, but his personality was a nightmare compared to the type of man he claimed to be. How do you weed through these liars?

Aurora
    Participant

This is very common on online dating sites and apps. I am not sure if these people think that we are stupid enough to just not realize what they truly are, or if they, themselves are stupid 😀

SaraSmile
    Participant

This can happen with online dating, but to be fair, it can happen when you meet someone in person, too. I've dated plenty of guys who started out claiming they were one type of person and then went all Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on me. I don't know why some people have such a hard time just being themselves.

Corrie
    Participant

I totally agree Sara. I dated a guy once that almost stalked me even after I told him it was over. I did everything I could to get rid of this guy and it was a face to face relationship. Not online. He started out all sweet and nice but became very, very possessive really quick. Online or not, you just have to be careful.

Charlize
    Participant

I've always been baffled by why someone would lie about something like how they look when they know that eventually they will be found out…? That just makes no sense to me.

lauren
    Participant

This happened to me sometime back and I swore never to go for any blind dates ever. The girl was the exact opposite of what she claimed to be. Why would anyone enjoy portraying a picture of what they actually aren't?

Micha
    Participant

In all honesty, I think that no matter what when you're dating online their is a huge risk that the person isn't who they say they. Whether, it's how they look or even their personality they may have been lying about it. The only way to weed this out is to just really be careful about who you select to meet and maybe look into their other social media outlets.

lauren
    Participant

To me, going online would only be as a matter of last resort. That or the fact that some people aren't able to hold face-to-face conversations hence the decision to try their luck online. I don't think it is right to try and be something someone isn't.

Sara
    Participant

It's very easy to hide who you truly are online. I used Tinder for a while and gave it up. I meet one guy from there and he looked nothing like his picture and was actually 10 years older then he said. I'd rather stay single than face another date like that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.