When we're looking for that special lady in our lives, sometimes we are the only thing standing in our way. When you first come out, it can be difficult figuring out how to approach and date other women. If you're feeling a little overwhelmed, check out our lesbian dating advice.
Lesbian Dating Advice
- Just be yourself. It can be tempting to pretend you're different or more than you are, but this only sets you up for relationship difficulties later on. Be honest about your personality, likes, dislikes, interests, and hobbies.
- Speaking of being honest, make sure you let potential partners know just HOW out you are. Have you told the world? Or only your closest friends and family members? This can be a huge deal to some lesbians, while others don't mind, and are willing to be patient.
- Don't jump straight into bed. It can be really tempting to get straight to sex when you really like someone. But waiting to get to the hot stuff can help build a stronger relationship built on so much more than lust and puppy love.
- The best lesbian dating advice is just to listen to her. As important as sharing information about yourself is, it is just as important to listen intently to everything she has to say. It will make her feel special, wanted, and cared about. Plus, if you actually listen to your girlfriend (or potential girlfriend) you can find out a lot about them. This will help you determine if this will last forever, or if you have a few road blocks to overcome.
- Be prepared to know her exes. The fact of the matter is that the lesbian dating pool is very small, and there is a VERY good chance that if your girlfriend has been out for a while, you already know who her exes are. They may even be your own exes if you live in a very small town, or rural area. Our lesbian dating advice is to avoid jealousy, be nice, and above all, try to be mature.
- Another piece of lesbian dating advice is to make your girlfriend feel special. It doesn't have to be anything crazy. Just open doors for her, tell her she looks beautiful, and let her know how happy you are to be with her. Try out things she enjoys doing – even if you aren't a fan. This will help her see just how much she means to you.